Monday, January 27, 2014

Revival of an international nomad

After an almost 4-year hiatus, I am considering reviving this blog to document the next phase of my adventures as an international nomad - having skipped a significant period while back in the USA. I  moved back to Harare, Zimbabwe, two weeks ago and the palpable energy and general joie de vivre I feel here nudged me to return to documenting the ins and outs of life in this inspiring city.

Since my return, I have had the joy of reconnecting with some of my dearest friends in the world. Thanks to these wonderful people, I not only had accommodation waiting for me when I arrived Harare, but some friends had borrowed and moved a bed into my room (up the 3 flights of stairs!); had prepared the bed for my first night; had bought me groceries. And the night I arrived, two generous (and strong!) young men - my two wonderful housemates - helped drag my ridiculously heavy, oversized luggage up those same stairs. I'm hoping to be here for a year, so those bags were ever so slightly over the top!

The Zimbabwe rains, which soothe the soul and bring life to the earth, have blessed up numerous times since I arrived. The first time the heavens opened, I rushed outside for a soaking and a mini raindance. A few nights ago, I struggled to sleep while the skies crashed and flashed incessantly for a couple of hours. I failed in my attempts to take a photo of the lightning, so resigned myself to no sleep until the storm had passed, and just lay in awe of the power of nature!

I've also been blessed with the cutest little car imaginable! One of my priorities after arriving here was to get a vehicle that would give me the independence I always crave in Harare. Again, some kind friends came to my rescue and my first Saturday morning I went to test drive cars. In my usual impulsive style, I bought the first car I saw - a pink Toyota Vitz, with the lowest mileage I've ever heard of for a 10+ year old car! It took several days to get all the legal paperwork done, and I'm not completely out of the woods yet...but, I now have my license plates (including the "3rd plate" - a sticker for the windscreen); a registration disk from a bank whose photocopier wasn't working; insurance that is worryingly inexpensive; and even my ZBC TV/Radio license is proudly displayed on my dashboard! So a lot of expenditure later, I am legally on the road and not terrified to be stopped by police.

Lastly, I started Shona lessons my first day in Harare. Where? At the Zimbabwe German Society of course! It's embarrassing to think it's taken me this long to take language lessons, but it's finally happening. I can now greet people in Shona at all times of the day, and am starting to learn my long list of verbs. Thankfully a lot of Shona has become "Shonglified" so apparently you can add an "i" or "ma" to a lot of English words to make yourself understood.

Signing off for today....hope to be back here regularly. Loving life...happy to be home. Next installment: the First Braai at Number 274 :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home