Thursday, March 06, 2008

To change, or not to change...that is the question!

It is the question indeed. Or at least it is the question du jour! “Change what?” I hear you ask. Forex, of course!

Yesterday I heard that world-renowned Zimbabwean musician, Oliver Mtukudzi, will be performing at the Harare International Conference Center this weekend. The ticket cost? A mere $100 million for pre-booked tickets; $200 million at the door! No big deal, right?

Right! Unless you don’t have hundreds of millions to throw away on a night out.

But this is where the dilemma of being a foreigner (with the requisite “forex,” or foreign currency) becomes an issue. Do I pass up a chance at watching this incredible musician for a matter of US$4? Just because I don’t have the Zim cash on hand? Or do I suck it up and change the forex and go to the concert? The problem with changing forex is that you know you won’t be able to buy it back (hence my panic in my previous posting!)

I decided it was worth the US$4 and today managed to get the incredible rate of Z$25,000,000:US$1…so guess I’ll be going to see Tuku on Saturday! That is, if the tickets haven’t sold out……but what are the chances of that in these times of hyperinflation?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home