Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Homeless versus Nomadic

It's been a long loooong time since I last posted to this blog. And during that time I've realized that in my mind there needs to be a distinction between being "Nomadic" and "Homeless." For several years I have felt "nomadic." But for much of the past year I have felt "homeless." Apparently there's a major difference. At least for me there is.

Since May 2008 I have felt distinctly homeless, after being asked to leave Zimbabwe at very short notice (note: euphemism!). Yes, a nomad wanders, but generally has a sense of direction; takes a traditional or established path; or follows a specific mission or purpose. I was caught unawares and had little time to whip up a plan. So I wandered somewhat aimlessly.

That aimless wandering included a hope of returning to Zimbabwe at some undefined date. Although that remains my hope, I discovered I needed a more definite plan. And I needed a home base. One of those two things has been established (enrolled in a Masters program in international ed) , and the other looks like it's not far away (a home-away-from-home).

Why is home important? The old saying goes "Home is where the heart is," and this has definitely been true for me. Although my thoughts and dreams often wander across the world to Africa and specifically to Zimbabwe, my heart is firmly here in the USA and I hope it will be for the next few years. It takes a commitment to be here, in a place I don't fully consider my "home" but that's definitely what it feels like right now.

Does home have to be a physical structure? Not necessarily, but again, I've found it helps! And as of next week, when I move into my new place, I'm hoping that the combination of having my heart and commitment to being here..along with a wonderful new home in which I can feel comfortable and happy in, will bring satisfaction and progress. Stay tuned for updates....:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home