Wednesday, September 09, 2009

A "new start" or a continuation?

Yesterday I started grad school. A Masters in International Education at the University of Amherst. It's been very intimidating making that shift from conducting a class to receiving instruction; switching from instructor to student. I haven't been on the receiving end for almost 10 years! (oof, I feel a little old when I write that!!!) But the past few days have really got me thinking about my next steps. And what it is that keeps us growing as human beings. We go through this life being givers and takers of information. Hopefully we strike a balance between the two. I've really experienced the feeling of living and growing during the past 48 hours, in a way that I haven't for a while. So I guess it's time to learn.

So the next question I've been asking myself is this: Is this a new beginning for me or is it a continuation? I've decided that perhaps it's a bit of both. I thought it was a new beginning. I have a new home, a new zipcode, a new car (well, used, but new for me!), am no longer working fulltime, am studying, new friends, new grocery shops, new everything. But is it? Since starting classes less than 48 hours ago, I've discovered that life is a funny thing: we're actually learning all the time. Today I went to an international education policy class, thinking I knew absolutely nothing about it. But throughout the class realized that I have been affected by education policy since I can remember -- and have a wealth of experience simply through living! So while I may be in a new place, yes, and I may be making new friends...this next chapter is simply that: a new chapter. Not necessarily a new beginning of the story. Just an opportunity to expand my borders.

Yippee for expansion!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home