Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Crossing the $1,000,000,000 mark (yup, that's $1billion!!!!)

By the end of this month I will finally be considered a billionaire!! What more could I want out of life, right?! Wrong!

Apparently the Zim government has just released last year's inflation figures -- 66,000%!!! Incredible. Absolutely incredible! What I'm referring to as incredible is not necessarily the inflation figures -- those are completely understandable given the level of corruption and mismanagement rife in Zim at the moment. What is incredible is that this figure can be released in the national media and not elicit even a murmur of dissent from the general population. Perhaps we have learnt our lessons well.

So with these figures in mind, and with bakers pushing for bread to be $5,000,000/loaf, I am relieved my salary has crossed the billion dollar line. I just hope by the time I receive the money I can still afford what is in the shops! Now I will be walking around, like everyone else here, with a brick of our new (and already out-inflated) $10,000,000 notes!

In Zim we used to joke that everyone's a millionaire. I'm guessing that joke needs to be updated, upgraded perhaps, like inflation!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home