Monday, September 11, 2006

Rise!

"Rise in the strength of Spirit to resist all that is unlike good. God has made man capable of this,..."

What powerful words on an emotionally and spiritually-charged day! I read this passage this morning while preparing for the day - it's written by a US religious/thought-leader whose work I study, Mary Baker Eddy.

September 11 will be a day etched on people's minds and lives for a long time. I was living in Boston at the time and can vividly remember where I was, what I was doing, watching those planes slam into the Twin Towers. The phonecalls to relatives far south in Africa, to assure them I wasn't anywhere near it and physically unaffected by this, the tragedy of modern terror. THe anxious phonecalls trying to reach friends in NY.

But today was different. Today I woke with a feeling of hope, a feeling of possibility. A sense that we can rise above all the junk the world throws at us and be free. After reading this passage above I pondered what it means to "rise in the strength of Spirit." What does it mean for the USA? What does it mean for the rest of the world? What does it mean for us here in Zimbabwe? What does it mean for me?

If God has made us capable of all good. If God has made us, has made me, capable of resisting anything that is unlike good, that means we have the strength right now to rise up and BE everything we can be. We cannot be held back - as individuals or as nations or people - by anything evil.

It is my sincere hope and prayer that the world will exercise this God-given ability. That we, here in Zimbabwe, don't give in to whatever form of evil tries to hold us back. That as a world we don't grow bitter and selfish and only look out for our own interests. As an individual I pray that I never get trapped by circumstances or become governed by anything aside from God, Spirit.

Wishing everyone a blessed day...Keep the spirit alive and never stop hoping and striving for good. When we stop doing that, that is when evil has won.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home