Thursday, August 24, 2006

Pitter patter round the world!


I should've written ages ago, but have been absorbing being "back" in Africa! My last day in Boston was, well, emotional, but the subsequent journey across 6 time-zones and three continents was exhilirating. I had a wonderful 10 hours in London, which I made the most of despite the flight delay (what a week for all the USA-UK flights to suddenly have a terror alert...very selfish of me to think that way, but I do wish it hadn't happened the week I was moving!!) Because of the flight delay in Boston, I missed the meeting I had scheduled in South Kensington at 10:00a.m., and only made it there by 11:30 - by which stage the girl I was meeting had left! Nevertheless, I had a hearty English breakfast at my favourite spot there - Cafe Floris, a little Italian cafe which serves a delicious breakfast for just under 4 pounds!!

I then went on to visit my great-uncle Jack, who lives in the Barbican - a short ride on the Underground from South Ken. He lives at a place called Charterhouse, where elderly gentlemen live. The building is so typically English, and so quaint in the middle of London - dates from the 1400s, I think. (if only I'd uploaded some pictures I could illustrate all this...but alas I'm yet to get that organized!) So I had lunch with a group of elderly gentlemen and we all discussed the sorry state of Zimbabwe, and they questioned me as to why on earth I was headed to such a "savage place"!! (you can imagine the news they get in the UK about Zim!!!)

Next I rushed to meet a "Brick Project" friend - Simon - in Leicester Square. At a later point I'll post some photos from our wander around Trafalgar Square. I dutifully had photos taken in front of the South African and the Zimbabwean Embassies, which are conveniently located nearby each other. I also posed next to the "Bok Shop" (Bok is short for Springbok...our South African rugby symbol!)

We then rushed to the airport, and soon I was back in a security line, hoping my electronics would make it through yet another scrutinizing baggage check. As every item was removed and wiped and re-packed, the security girl told me how awful their week had been, and how she'd managed to make it to work with only some cash in her pocket and a cellphone round her neck! What a funny world we live in!!

My flight to South Africa was great and, lucky me, had a free seat between me and the next passenger (a bit of space is always an unexpected luxury!) And my flight seat-partner was wonderful! We discussed the state of the world, and in particular Africa, a lot of the way..and slept and watched movies the rest. (don't ask me what I watched - I have a terrible memory when it comes to films as some of you probably know!!)

I better sign off now, and have little else to share. The rain has followed me around the world - starting in Boston, then a sprinkling in London, and end-of-winter showers in Cape Town! This week has been a rush, and I've managed to unload my shipment of "used household goods" from the Cape Town docks; buy a car from a friend in Zim; and spend quality time with my family (and even managed a walk up the mountain today...which I'm starting to feel in my lower thighs!!!)

Good night from wintery Cape Town..I'll try to pop in another installment before leaving for Zimbabwe. Have you all been reading about the money issues in Zim?! It sounds like this week has been interesting...:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home