Sunday, August 27, 2006

Going north tomorrow


It's been a whirlwind week in Cape Town - so much so that I've used a photo from London 'cos I haven't yet uploaded my Cape Town photos from my camera to my computer! (admittedly, they are mostly of my adorable 3-year-old nephew, Seth...so excuse the picture above from my day in London - outside the "Bok Shop"!) This week has not only been a whirlwind, but also quite chaotic. I had a giant 4.5footX4.5 foot container of "used household goods" arrive on Monday, which had to be cleared through customs; unloaded and collected from Cape Town harbour. It was quite an escapade, with Dad, Jeremy (my brother) and I taking two cars into town, and doing two trips back and forth! While driving down the highway we all looked a bit "boxed in" to our little cars, with boxes, music stands and tennis rackets piled high about us!

But everything, thankfully, arrived in tact, so now my parents' house is full of all my boxes that have arrived from America. It's funny, I don't normally think of myself as too materialistic, but it's funny what comfort you get in seeing some of your own things! Just seeing my bedding, paintings and teddybears was so exciting!!

Tomorrow is the big moving day. My long-suffering father will be getting me up at 3:00 a.m., because of course I'm taking the earliest morning flight out of Cape Town! Ugh.....

So by this time tomorrow afternoon I should be arriving in Harare. I'm excited and nervous - it's quite an endeavor starting a new life, a new country...again! But since I've been at Arundel School for several months this year, it also feels a bit like returning to a much-loved friend/family member. Am looking forward to it! My next update will be from a few thousand kilometres further north on this beautiful but troubled continent. Look forward to being in touch soon! Sending love from Africa :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home